site navbar


Introduction

Everyone has an opinion about bike gear. I only know about what I use and I generally only write about what I have. I'm somewhat of a retro-grouch for I prefer steel frames and rim brakes.

Adventurer's Fuel

The following article is a re-post from July 2012 and just so doggone tasty that I feel as if it makes for the perfect first entry in our "Gear" section. Bang away baby!



Hello, muse asked me (his wife) to write an article about the treat I make for him to take on his cycling adventures with the Tuesday gang.  Will, if you are reading this; they are not exclusive to the Tuesday gang, he just forgot to take them when he went out riding with you!

It's no secret, muse loves his bike snacks!  Everything from fruit to cheese; however you just can't beat the combination of oats, fruit and nuts, that is a cereal bar.  He has tried and tested many brands and flavour combinations, both here and over the pond and of course, he has favourites but hopefully; mine are number 1. (A wife's privilege, yes?)

Here is my recipe for: They'll Get You Through Lairig Ghru Bars

100g butter
200g porridge oat (I like to toast them first in the oven)
300g of dried fruit and nuts, use anything you like, I do.  Although sometimes I use sultanas, which I don't like, but muse does
3 tbsp honey
50g sugar
2tbsp crunchy peanut butter, you could use smooth
1 tsp cinnamon

1. Add the oats to a mixing bowl.


2. Add the fruit and nuts.


3. In a saucepan add the sugar, butter, peanut butter and honey.





4. Over a gentle heat, let the butter melt and the sugar dissolve and all the ingredients combine to look like this.


5. Pour the mixture into the bowl with the oats etc.


6. Mix the oats, fruit and nuts until fully coated with buttery, honey mixture. Like so.



7. Pour the mixture into a greased ovenproof dish, (I usually line mine with greaseproof paper for easy removal, but I had run out.)  Flatten the mixture down gently but firmly.



8. Pop in a preheated oven,  I use a fan oven at 140C, and bake for approx 25 - 30 mins.

9.  Allow to cool in the dish.  Remove from the dish, and cut into bars, I usually get 10 bars from this much mixture, I use a  8.5' x 8.5' square dish. 



10. Eat 'em up. Yum!

Sidebar: Wondering what or where Lairig Ghru is?  Check it out, Lairig Ghru.

Ads Inside Post